Baby's First Sweater is easy to knit because its all in one piece. Sew the underarm and sleeve seam and you're done. Embellish with french knots and a ribbon tie.
- 6 months - 1 year
- Chest size: 21 1/2"
- Finished size: 22"
Note: Instructions for the remaining pieces of the baby set--cap, booties, and blanket appear as the June Knit Projects of the Month. To complete the entire ensemble you will need 15 ozs. of 4-ply worsted weight acrylic. If you only want to complete the sweater, you will need 6 ozs. of 4-ply acrylic yarn.
- 4-ply worsted weight yarn (see note below)
- Knitting needles size 8, or size necessary to obtain gauge
- 1 stitch holder
- 1 1/4 yards 3/8" satin ribbon
- Stockinette stitch on size 8 needles--
- 9 stitches = 2"
- 6 rows = 1"
Cast on 50 stitches (sts)
- Row 1: Work in Garter stitch (knit every row) for 6 rows.
- Row 7: Work in Stockinette stitch (knit 1 row, purl 1 row). Work until piece measures 7 from beginning. Last row is a purl row.
- Note: Width across back is 11".
Cast on 24 sts at end of just worked purl (p) row.
There are now 74 sts.
- Next Row: Knit (k) across row. Cast on 24 sts. There are now 98 sts.
- Row 2: P across row.
- Row 3: Repeat Rows 1 and 2 to 4 inches above last cast on sts. Last row is a right side row.
- Row 1: Work 39 sts and slip to stitch holder. Bind off 20 sts for neck. Work remaining 39 sts.
- Row 2: Work on the 39 sts for 4 rows in Stockinette stitch (St st).
- Row 6: Work across row. Increase 1 stitch (st) at end of row for neck edge, and 1 st at same edge every other row 2 times more. There are now 42 sts.
- Next Row: Work 42 sts for 2 rows in St st. Cast on 9 sts at end of last row for front edge. There are now 51 sts.
- Row 11: Knit 5 for front border, purl to last 5 sts, knit 5.
- Row 12: K.
- Row 13: Repeat Rows 11 and 12 until sleeve measures 8, end at cuff edge.
- Next Row: Bind off 24 sts at beginning of row, work across row. Working in Garter st at front edge work on the 27 sts to match back to Garter st border. Then k 6 rows. Bind off. Slip sts off holder onto needle with the point of the needle at neck edge. Join yarn and work across 39 sts. Work 3 more rows (4 rows worked).
- Next Row: Increase 1 st at beginning of row, and 1 st at same edge every other row twice more. End at cuff edge. There are now 42 sts.
- Next Row: Work across row in St st. Cast on 9 sts at end of row for front edge. There are now 51 sts. Finish same as other side. Bind off.
With right side facing, starting at right front edge, pick up and k 13 sts along neck edge, pick up and k 20 sts along back of neck edge, pick up and knit remaining 13 sts along left front neck edge. There are now 46 sts.
Next Row: k across row for 6 rows. Bind off.
Finishing: Sew underarm and sleeve seams. Trim with ribbon ties. Embellish with French Knots in contrasting colors (optional).
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of these instructions. We cannot be responsible, however, for variances in individual techniques, human errors or typographical mistakes.|
©1999 Craft Yarn Council of America